Monday, January 25, 2010

Week 1 Day 2: Choosing to do a Clothes check

This week we are looking at our choices we make first thing in the morning. Our first choice always needs to be and should be God. I hope you have already set your phone to remind you when you wake up to choose God.

Today I want to talk about choosing what we wear. Now for those of you who know me, you know I like to look cute and stylish. I know I feel better when I feel I look cute. But there are choices we need to make when we get dressed. We need to make sure we are still honoring God. And sometimes it is after we leave our house we realize our shirt likes to rise in the back or hangs to low when we bend over. Or maybe we do not realize that our cute low rise pants make us flash everybody when we sit. So how do we choose to look cute but still glorify God? And does our appearance matter?

While God does not want our focus to be our appearance, we want to make sure our appearance is not a stumbling block to others or a distraction in His plans for us. When Mr. Sam was a teenager, he became very frustrated with the girls in his youth group. Their outfits were revealing so much, he was having trouble focusing on God. We do not want to cause others to lose focus or send a false message about ourselves.

God cares more about inner beauty, but choosing to do this quick clothing check can help your appearance not be a distraction or stumbling block.

Clothing Check Test:


Shirt- if you see cleavage, you cannot wear it.

  1. You can also bend over and hang your arms down. Check to see if you can see down your shirt when you do. If you do not check, some boy will.

  2. Raise you arms up to see if you show belly or more.


Pants- no underwear should show

  1. Get you mom or sister to stand behind you. Bend over and touch your toes. Let them see if you show undies or more.

  2. Also squat down and do the same check.


Skirt and shorts- nothing shorter than fingertip length

  1. Sit criss cross applesauce and make sure you cannot see too much.

  2. Spin around in a skirt. If it goes up then you need to wear something underneath in case the wind blows.
*If most of your shirts and pants expose to much, I would choose some long under tanks to help cover up.

Choose to check your clothes before you leave the house. At first glance everything may seem fine, but by the time you get to school you may be exposing more than you should want to expose. And even if you think no boys are looking, some one will.


Today for my life, I choose:

  1. God. (read your verse on mirror)

  2. As I brush my hair for God to forgive me for not always bringing honor to Him with my appearance and causing others to stumble.

  3. As I brush my teeth for God to use my mouth to share His love.

  4. As I put on my eyes for God to open them to see the importance of inner beauty.

  5. As I get dressed, I clothe myself in the armor of God.

  6. As I get ready for school, I fill my mind and heart with His praises.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a challenge for me sometimes. A few days ago I was just thinking that i need to watch what I'm wearing.. I think God is so awesome in the ways he works!!! Love you GaLynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, You are so right about it being a challenge. And it is so easy to justify some things. Just be sensitive to the Holy Spirit. If you have to argue with yourself or justify what you are wearing then you probably need to modify the outfit. You are a beautiful girl inside and out. You would look adorable in sweats! Love you too.

    ReplyDelete