Monday, August 30, 2010

Choose To Be Like the Birds

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

Matthew 6:27

I like the question Matthew asked. Is all this worrying going to change anything? Is worrying about making friends or what your friends think going to make a difference? Is worrying if your grades are good enough going to get you accepted to college? Is worrying about pleasing your parents going to please them? Is worrying....

Together for a minute, let's just think about all the time we spend worrying. Can you even calculate the minutes, hours that you worried this past week or even today? Matthew asked if worrying added an hour to our life, but I am going to ask you if worrying takes an hour away from your life?


For a moment imagine what you could accomplish if you were doing instead of worrying...now reread the scripture below. This time I am using The Message translation.


25-26"If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds.

27-29"Has anyone by fussing in front of the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? All this time and money wasted on fashion—do you think it makes that much difference? Instead of looking at the fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them.

30-33"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.

34"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.



Hmmm...makes you think a little more. So my question for you to ponder and discuss with God is:


"What if instead of worrying,

you focused on God, trusted God, and followed His will for you? "


Ponder the thought of not worrying, but just choosing to live for and trust God for provision, for the future, for this minute. And if you made this choice, what would God be able to accomplish through you when you change your worry to action?


This is my life, I choose:

Write this verse on my mirror and memorize: Matthew 6:33
33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
*as I brush out my tangles, ask God to forgive me for letting my worries consume me and distract me.
*as I put on my contacts (eye makeup), ask God to help me see the worries that keep me from seeing and believing him.
*as I brush my teeth, ask God to help my mouth claim the his truth and faith in who God is.
*as I put on my clothes, to put on the armor of God

No comments:

Post a Comment