Tuesday, August 31, 2010

You Can Choose Worry or Faith

33bSteep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.

34"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

Matthew 6:33b-34 (The Message)


Read the first line again and the first part of verse 34. What is getting your attention right now, worries or living life? As we talked yesterday, we do not have to let our worries take time away from our life. We can trust our life to God.

Let me share a little story.

A friend of mine had been caring for her ill husband for many years. After years of surgeries and complications, his health began to fade more. Doctors finally gave up hope and placed him on Hospice (care for those who are going to die). But his precious, godly wife chose not to believe and worry about reality, but to believe and trust in her mighty, healing God. When she was told by doctors and others to face the truth and realize he was dying, she did not begin to worry. She began to pray and found others who would truly believe God could heal to pray with her.

Two years ago, he was put on hospice. A month ago, I sat down at the dinner table with them to celebrate their anniversary. He is not on hospice anymore. While he still has more healing to come, this man who looked liked he was dead, now looks alive and responds to others and has a wonderful smile.

My friend chose faith over worries. At times worries would start to creep up, but she would not give them control. She was "steep in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provision."

What about you and I? What are we steep in? Worries? God?

Do you think just maybe that you and even myself, could turn our worries into prayers and trust in God? Could we not start to worry when God may provide a different way than we wanted?

You worry about having friends, but instead you choose to trust God to provide the friends he sees best. Maybe you worry about getting into a certain class or school, can you choose instead to trust God to open doors to the school or class he sees best? You worry about the mistakes of going to far with your boyfriend, can you choose to remove yourself form the situation and trust God to give you a godly boyfriend at the right time?

It seems like it would be so easy, but I personally know it is not. Many times I start to worry before I choose to trust. But let's make a pack that next time we worry, you or I will stop worrying, pray and choose to trust God.

(And please do not hesitate to contact if you need someone to pray with you.)


This is my life, I choose:

Write this verse on my mirror and memorize: Matthew 6:33
33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
*as I brush out my tangles, ask God to forgive me for letting my worries consume me and distract me.
*as I put on my contacts (eye makeup), ask God to help me see the worries that keep me from seeing and believing him.
*as I brush my teeth, ask God to help my mouth claim the his truth and faith in who God is.
*as I put on my clothes, to put on the armor of God

No comments:

Post a Comment