Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Year: Choose To Forgive

But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Jesus Christ."
Philippians 3:13-14


New Year Choices:
1.Choose to accept God's forgiveness of last year's mistakes.
2.Choose to forgive those who hurt you and not hold onto your anger.
3.Choose to put God first this year and focus on Him.
4. And just because...choose to smile...God loves you and so do I :)


God forgives you, you accept forgiveness and...you forgive others??? You wonder why you should forgive? You wonder why you should forgive someone who is not sorry? It is very simple, you forgive for a couple of reasons.

First, God tells us to forgive as He forgives us. Jesus mentions it in the Lord's prayer and also answers the question another time. We forgive and forgive because God forgives and forgives us.
Second, we forgive because holding onto that anger, resentment and bitterness, actually harms us more than the person who needs forgiving. It eats at us and makes you and I feel horrible. You and I need to forgive whether the other party is sorry or not. And we do it so we are obedient to God and free ourselves from those feelings that tear us down.

One final thing, a wise lady, who was my mentor, once told me forgiveness is choosing not to seek revenge. So today I ask you if you will choose to forgive (not seek revenge) those who hurt you this past year? And those who will hurt you in the days that follow?

My prayer is that you choose to forgive so you yourself can be free.

My life, I choose…

*to write the verse above on my mirror and memorize: Phil. 3:13-14
*as I brush out my tangles, ask God to forgive me for my not so smart choices last year.
*as I brush my teeth, thank God for His forgiveness and say out loud "I accept it."
*as I put on eye make up/contacts, help me see those I am still mad at today and help me forgive them as God forgives you.
*as I get dressed, put on the armor of God

No comments:

Post a Comment