Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Choose To Learn From Your Choices

We have been on our Choices journey for a few weeks now. I do not know about you, but I know I still do not always make the right choice. While I have greatly improved on recognizing the choices I make daily, I am still not perfect. (I know you are in total shock.;)

But tonight I am asking myself if I am learning from my bad choices? Or do I still continue to make the same dumb choice knowing the consequences?

As usual, God has been teaching me as He uses me to teach my son. As God gives me the words to say to my child, I realize they are for me, too.

Hopefully you read his blog yesterday. But if not here is the story. My child made a bad choice on where he choose to sit which led to one more stupid little bad choice. But, unfortunately the consequences have been big. Now he has recognized the consequences of his choices. In a very mature way, he owned up to them and sought forgiveness. At the same time, the enemy was tearing him down. All of this led to a discussion of learning from our bad choices.

So, here is what God taught me while I was teaching my child:

1.We have to take responsibility for our choice no matter how little it may be.
2.We need to evaluate the consequences of our choice. (Remember the Holy Spirit convicts not condemns.)
3.We need to apologize to those affected by our choice even if they do not realize how they were affected.
4.We have to choose if we want to learn from our choice.


Most likely we think we learn, yet we seem to soon forget and the bad choice repeats itself. So, how can we truly learn from our bad choices?

My thought is to write it down. When we make a good or bad choice, you and I write it down. We also write the bad or good consequence plus what God taught us. The next time we are faced with a similar choice, we can go back and look at it.

I am going to start a Choice/Consequence Journal. As I make the right choice and reap the benefits, I will record it as an encouragement of making the right but not so easy choice. I will also record the bad choices and the consequences to serve as a reminder if the choice comes before me again. Please also record the consequences of days when you put your focus on God and the days you choose to loose focus. Not only will the journal help you, it will be a teaching tool for others.

So, who is with me? Who wants to truly learn from our choices?

Choice/Consequence journal available on website: http://www.bodysoulandhome.com/discography.html

It is just one page but you can print as many as you need and put it in a pretty notebook or use it as an example to make your own.

This is my life, I choose:

Write this verse on my mirror:
Proverbs 2:10
For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul* as I brush out the tangles, to ask God to forgive me for repeating the same bad choices.

*as I put on my contacts (eye makeup), ask God to help me see the consequences and learn from them.
*as I brush my teeth, to ask God to help me speak what I learn to others so they do not make the same bad choice.
*as I put on my clothes, to put on the armor of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment