Monday, April 19, 2010

Spring Fever Choices

The end of school is near!!! So exciting, yet the last few weeks can become so long and dreadful. Motivation for school work seems to be gone. And mean girl syndrome seems to take over the school. Can you survive the last weeks of school? Are you able to enjoy it at all?


To put it simply, you can make choices to survive and enjoy and the end of school. Or you can choose to become a little lazy and be involved in all the drama. In my opinion, I would go with the first set of choices.



What? Are you disagreeing or thinking it is impossible to avoid it all? Yes, I hear you describing all the drama and mean girls at your school. I spent three days last week in a high school and saw it with my own eyes. But I think you can still make choices to avoid some of it or ignore it.



1. Choose to turn the other cheek and not be a mean girl.

If the meanness is directed at you, choose not to strike back with mean words and actions. Lies and attacks will hurt but remember who you are in Christ and walk away. If you want to totally shock them, just say God loves me and He loves you too. And tell them to have a wonderful day. Smile and walk away. You stop the argument and probably leave them speechless for a few.

Luke 6:28-30 (New International Version)
28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.



2. Choose to shut up and not spread the gossip.

Do not continue rumors and insults about others! Did you hear me? No matter if it is the truth, shut up. I am not trying to sound rude, but do not be part of the rumor weed. (Watch Larry Boy and the Rumor Weed.) Like the old saying goes, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Proverbs 21:23-24 (New Living Translation)
23 Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut,
and you will stay out of trouble.
24 Mockers are proud and haughty;
they act with boundless arrogance.


3. Choose to be prepared for the battles.

Everyday I ask you to pray on the armor of God. I also have you pray for your mouth and eyes. This is very important before you go to school. As I heard on the radio, "Don't let the devil catch you in your underwear." You do not go to war without being prepared, so why would you enter the toughest battle ground, school, without being prepared.

Ephesians 6:12-18 (New International Version)
12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.


4. Choose to have your sword.

The best way to battle the lies and attacks is with your sword, God's Word. Put scripture of who you are in Christ on your phone, notebook and locker. God's truth is much more powerful than a classmate's words.

Hebrews 4:12 (New International Version)
12For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart

This is my life, I choose:

Write this verse on my mirror: Pick one of the verses above. The Proverbs might be best.

*as I put on my contacts (eye makeup), ask God to help me see the truth of who I am and the broken hearts around me.
*as I brush my teeth, to ask God to help me speak in love and not to participate in rumors.
*as I put on my clothes, to put on the armor of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment