Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Will you choose not to throw the first stone?

Sunday night, she thought she had found the boy she would be with forever. She decided since she loved him, it would be ok. But she did not know by Monday that the whole school would know. He sent one text to his buddy about what they had done and by Monday morning, it seemed everyone knew. As she walked up to the school, the name calling, the pointing began. Some students even threw their trash as they called her names. She fell to the ground and buried her face. The shame she felt. Her decision, her sin was being judged by all her classmates.

You are her fellow classmate. You received the text. Are you going to judge? Are you going to shout names? Will you forward the text?

Read this story...

3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.


Do you judge like the teachers of the law? Or do you respond like Christ?

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

11"No one, sir," she said.
"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."
(John 8)

Jesus said if you are without sin, you may cast the first stone. Well...I do not know about you, but I am not without sin. And I bet it is safe to say neither are you. So, how should you respond to a situation like the one above?

You and I have to be very careful not to throw stones with our words and actions. You should not agree with what she did. Maybe you are even brokenhearted for her. But you need to love the person just as Christ did. She may need to know that Christ still loves her even when she messes up.

Remember before you throw the stone, we all have sinned. We all are saved by grace.

This is my life, I choose:

Write this verse on my mirror: Pick one of the verses from Monday. The Proverbs might be best.
*as I brush out my tangles, ask God to forgive me for my own sin and for judging others.
*as I put on my contacts (eye makeup), ask God to help me see those who need to know that Christ still loves them.
*as I brush my teeth, to ask God to help me speak in love and not to participate in rumors.
*as I put on my clothes, to put on the armor of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment