Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Footsteps of Betrayal

To even glance at these footsteps causes a lump to swell in my throat. Footsteps that had
faithfully followed Christ along the road, from town to town stopped following today.
They turned and walked away to betray Christ.

1Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread, called the Passover, was approaching, 2and the
chief priests and the teachers of the law were looking for some way to get rid of Jesus,
for they were afraid of the people. 3Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the
Twelve. 4And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and
discussed with them how he might betray Jesus. 5They were delighted and agreed to give
him money. 6He consented, and watched for an opportunity to hand Jesus over to them
when no crowd was present. (Luke 22:16)

Jesus knew one day Judas would betray him. As Judas walked beside Christ all those
years, He knew the day of betrayal would come. Their footsteps had traveled many roads
together, but the day of betrayal had finally come. And sadly, it was money that led Judas
to the decision of betrayal. He agreed to hand over his innocent friend for his own gain,
wealth.

My throat swells, tears fill my eyes; my mind tries to comprehend how anyone who knew
Christ and His love would betray Him for financial gain. But, as I sit and read this story, I
feel sick to my stomach. Not because of what Judas did, but because of what I did.

I have known and followed Christ for 27 years. Time and time again I experience Christ's
love and forgiveness. I already know that Christ died for me. Yet, like Judas, my
footsteps have walked away and betrayed Jesus for my own selfish gain. Oh Lord,
forgive me. The lure of success, money, and pleasures of the world has led my footsteps
away from my friend, my teacher, my Savior.

How about you? Have you betrayed, walked away from Christ for your own selfish gain?
Write a prayer confessing and seeking forgiveness.

But, I am thankful that I, like Judas, realize what I have done. But, praise God that I,
unlike Judas, do not give up. I can come before my Father and be saved by His grace.
Alleluia!!! My footsteps can find their way back to Christ!!

Now Praise God for His forgiveness and His grace. Praise Him for His footsteps that run
to meet yours when you return home to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment