Sunday, March 21, 2010

Week 8 Day 1: Choose the Truth

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

LIE!!! Words hurt. Unfortunately it is a hurt that stays with you and can tear you apart. And you, my poor, sweet friend, are surrounded by peers who know how much words hurt but don't hesitate to blurt them out. Sadly, some of you face those hurtful words in your own home. (I am so sorry and know I love you.) How can you choose to avoid those words? Is it possible?

Unfortunately, you cannot avoid people. Even if you locked yourself in your house, words could still attack through text, MySpace, facebook, etc. You cannot avoid those hurtful words completely, but you can choose to fill your mind and heart with the truth. The truth can defeat the hurtful lies.

What is the truth?

1. You were created by God and in His image. And as the old saying goes,"God don't make no junk."
Psalm 139:13
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb

Genesis 1:27
"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them"


2. You are a child of God.
John 1:12-13
"Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.


3. You were worth saving, the ultimate sacrifice was made for you.
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."


4. God loves you.
Romans 5:8
"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us"


5. God has a plan for you.
Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."


These are just a tiny bit of the truths from God's Word. But everyone one of them are important just like you.

You are the daughter of the King of kings. He loves you so much he took your punishment and hung on a cross. Your Father took the time to knit every piece of you together in your mother's womb.

My friend, others may tell you all your faults. Some may say you are unworthy of love. You may be called stupid, ugly, worthless or names much worse. Some of you may have been told that you deserve whatever happens to you. A few of you may even face verbal attacks on a daily basis from those in your home or a bully at school. I am here to tell you that those are all lies. The truth is in the verses above and all throughout God's Word.

Will you choose to believe the lies, or the words of your Heavenly Father? My prayer is that you choose to believe your Heavenly Father.

*If you are facing verbal abuse in your home or at school, please talk to your youth pastor, pastor, christian counselor or me. Please seek adult help. There are adults to help you and they will not judge or condemn you. They will love you and help you.

This is my life I choose:

Write this verse on my mirror
Pick one of the verses above to write on your mirror.

* as I brush out the tangles, to ask God to forgive for not knowing His Word and truth.
*as I put on my contacts (eye makeup), ask God to help me see who I am in Christ not to see who I am according to the world.
*as I brush my teeth, to ask God to help me speak the truth of who I am when verbal attacks come my way.
*as I put on my clothes, to put on the armor of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment