Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Choose The Sting Not The Fire

"Dear Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth" is listed as a statement you can like on fb. And while it does make us giggle, it would probably not hurt us to use it as a prayer. We are great at asking God to protect us or make things better, but do we ask him or give him control of our mouth??

"5Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. " James 3:5-6
How many times has your tongue started a fire? Out of those fires how many times did you or others get burned? How easy is it to put out those fires? They are like a California forest fire, easy to start but difficult to put out.
Here is a thought, "is it more painful to bite your tongue or to get burned by the fire from your tongue?" Think about it for a minute. Hmmm...
While biting the tongue may cause a little sting, the burns from the fires take a lot longer to heal. Maybe it would be the wise choice if we learn to bite our tongues and not spark a fire. Are you willing to choose to control your tongue, bite it when necessary?
Memorize the following verse this week and quote it every time you need to control your tongue. Remember, God's word is your sword. Why not choose to use it in the battle with your tongue??
My life, I choose...


*To write on my mirror: Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

*as I brush out my tangles, praise God for forgive me for the fires I have started with my tongue.
*as I brush my teeth, I surrender my mouth to God and claim Psalm 19:14.
*as I put on eye make up/contacts, help me see how my words would burn someone before I speak them.
*as I get dressed, put on the armor of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment