Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Week 2 Day 3: Choose who You Are By How You Speak

I am very upset and really have a broken heart after what I have seen and heard the past couple of days. As I subbed in the classroom, I heard one kid after another insult each other. I witnessed students join in together and insult one student. I am still in shock after hearing the way students talk to teachers and principals. A couple of students were even mean to me. It was sad and very discouraging.

Now, I am going to plead with you. Please, please, please, choose not to insult another student no matter how different they may be. Please, please, please, choose to be respectful to your teachers even if they are not the best or nicest teacher. As God's children, Christians, we cannot follow the world. You and I cannot laugh and attack other people with our words. We cannot choose to look cool by joining the crowd and putting down others.

But we cannot just choose to not insult. We have to choose to encourage. Yesterday, I watched tears fill the eyes of a girl because of the way another student talked to her. I watched for three days as boys laughed at another student. Now he seeks their approval so bad, he ended up in detention. You may have no problem not being the one choosing to speak the ugly words, but what can you choose to do in these situations?

Will you choose to be like Christ? Will you be like Christ stopping the others from throwing stones at the person? Will you be like Christ and be the one to offer encouragement?

Think about the movie Princess Diaries. When everyone starting picking on her about her new hair, her friend stepped in and asked the teacher if they could start learning. Maybe you could choose to get the focus back on learning or bring up another topic to change the conversation. Choose a topic about a song, TV show, or ask about your current assignment.

Maybe you are too shy to speak up or would get in trouble for speaking in class. I understand that completely. You can choose to offer encouragement silently. Maybe it is an encouraging note in their locker (signing it is optional). Or you can choose just a nice pat on the back and whisper an encouraging word. Sometimes just choosing to look at them and smile when you pass them in the hall. Choosing to find one thing to compliment whether it is shoes, backpack, just anything.
Please choose to be the one to encourage. This may sound drastic, but it could save a life.

So today will you choose not to insult? Will you please choose to encourage? Please stop and heal the hurt.

"And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and everyone else." 1 Thessalonians 5:14-15
It is my life I choose...
*as I brush out the tangles, to ask God to forgive me for hurting others with my words and laughter.
*as I put on my contacts (eye makeup), to ask God to open my eyes to classmates that are hurting and need encouragement.
*as I brush my teeth, to ask God to keep my mouth from speaking hurtful words and to put encouraging words on my lips.
*as I get dressed, to put on the armor of God so I am ready for the battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment