Thursday, February 18, 2010

Week 4 Day 4: Choose Love Part 2

"Love is kind.."
Being patient is hard, but being kind is easy...right??? Is it easy only to speak kind words? To be sweet to someone who is rude? To be kind to your siblings or parents? To be sweet to the teacher who is failing you? Well..
OK so being kind in certain situations is hard. But I think I know why patience was before kindness. When you are patience, you are more calm and less irritated. And that makes it a whole lot easier to be sweet and kind. I know I need to choose to work on patience so I can be more kind. How about you? Do you need to choose to work on your patience so you can be kind? (To clarify, if you give attitude you need to work on patience and kindness)
Not only do we need to work on loving those close to us with kindness, but also to the ones we may have never noticed or acknowledged. I am talking about the person who sits by herself at lunch, who walks the hallways alone, who is ignored in class unless someone needs to borrow a piece of paper. She needs to be loved. You can choose to show her love by being kind. By having a simple conversation at lunch or in the halls.
My son and I just read the book, "To Save A Life." (based on the movie) It has inspired him to reach out to those who are alone. When one of the girls who really has no friends did not get a Valentine and spent her birthday in the hospital, he made her a friend valentine. He took a few minutes to put some candy in a cute bag. It was nothing big, but it made her day. He showed kindness to her and reminded her people do love her. It was something so simple.
Kindness is simple. It is stopping to help someone, holding a door for the older lady, talking to the person who sits alone, bring an extra piece of candy to share with someone, helping your teacher with a task, taking the trash out for your mom without her asking, helping clean up after dinner, a hug, a smile, a listening ear. The hardest part is realizing you need to choose to be kind.
And yes, there are those times and people it is very hard to show kindness. But remember to choose patience and choose to be kind whether they deserve it or not. God's love is kind to you when you do not deserve it.
If you and I start choosing to show love through our kindness, others may choose the same. It could save a life, a school, a city. This is a choice that can effect so many. So today choose to be kind.


It is my life I will choose…

*To read my verse

"4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Cor. 13:4-7

* as I brush out the tangles, to ask God to forgive me for not always being kind.
*as I put on my contacts (eye makeup), ask God to help me see those who I can love through kindness.
*as I brush my teeth, to ask God to help me speak kind loving words even when it difficulties.
*as I put on my clothes, to put on the armor of God

No comments:

Post a Comment