Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Week 3 Day 4: Choosing To Be A Friend


"Two are better than one, because they have good return for their work; If one falls down his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up."
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

"A friend loves at all times" Proverbs 17:17
I need you to be honest today. What type of friend are you? Do you encourage your friends? Or do you insult and condemn? Do you love even when they make you mad? Or do you love only when you get your way? Do you lead them to Christ? Or do you lead them to the world?


The movie, "Mean Girls," comes to mind. The popular group were so called friends. But the problem was they were all very selfish. Each one cared more about themselves than their friend.
And if you made them mad, they would pull you down. My thought is with friends like that who needs enemies.


You need to remember a couple of things when being a friend.


First, you must be willing to sacrifice what you want at times. As a true friend, you are going to be there when they need you. Sometimes that is just being there to listen. Other times you may need to provide something they need (need not want).


Second, you must love your friends. And I mean love them enough to care about their relationship with Christ. You may need to share Christ with them or you may need to help them grow closer to Christ and in their obedience to Christ. We can all say we care about our friends. But if we do not tell them about Christ and encourage them in Christ, do we really care for them?


One of the things I regret is I did not share Christ with more of my friends. Once I did my senior year, I wanted to more. But what about all those years I did not. And my heart breaks over the friends I have already lost over all these years. Why did I not share Christ more back in school? I did not choose to love my friends enough to share Christ back in school.


I beg you not to do the same. Choose to share Christ and/or encourage each of your friends in Christ. Be a friend that picks up their friend, not pulls them down. Don't wait until you are older to be that type of friend. You can start now and you do not have time to wait. (Three of my friends passed away by the time I graduated, one the year after).
I believe each of you can be that friend.

It is my life I will choose…

*To read my verse.
* as I brush out the tangles, to ask God to forgive me for not loving my friends enough to share Christ.
*as I put on my contacts (eye makeup), ask God to show me which friends do not know Him so I may share Christ with them.
*as I brush my teeth, to ask God to give me the courage to share Him with others.
*as I put on my clothes, to put on the armor of God..

No comments:

Post a Comment