Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Week 3 Day 2: Choosing Friends that Build Up

You love hanging out with friends. You probably prefer to be with friends than with your parents right now. Your friends are the ones who understand you. Friends are and should be a very important part of your life. But, according to our verse this week, a friend should build you up not bring you down. What do your friends do for you?

You will have friends at school that you talk to in class or occasionally text. And you should be talking to everyone. As Christians you should not be ignoring anyone. But the people you spend the most time hanging out with, texting, etc. should be people who build you up. They should encourage you to be the best you can be and should encourage you to do what is right.

If you spend a lot of time with someone, you are going to pick up their habits. Hanging out with someone whose choices displease God will eventually influence you to do the same. Whether it is a bad attitude, dirty mouth, drinking, or sexual activity, too much time around it will make it more tempting for you.

Now, if you are arguing that you are trying to lead them to Christ, you still have to be very careful. You should invite them to church. You should talk to them at school. Texting is ok if you keep the conversation on the right topics. But hanging out just to hang out all the time will bring you down.

Think about it this way. If you are standing on a chair and your friend is standing on the floor, is it easier for you to pull them up or for them to pull you down? It is easier to go down.

I want you to love and talk to everyone. I want you to treat everyone as a friend. I want you to invite them to every church activity. You can even invite them over to eat with your family and watch a movie. But I just want you to be careful how much time you let them influence you. You will face enough trials and temptations these next years without someone who will try to lead you to more.

Choose your very close friends carefully. Choose to surround yourself with those who build you up. It will make it easier to become like Christ when those around you the most are trying to do the same.

It is my life I will choose…

*To read my verse.
* as I brush out the tangles, to ask God to forgive me for choosing to do things that others do even though it is wrong..
*as I put on my contacts (eye makeup), ask God to show me which friends build me up and which ones tear me down.
*as I brush my teeth, to let my mouth honor Him by choosing not to speak like others at my school.
*as I put on my clothes, to put on the armor of God..

No comments:

Post a Comment